Sunday, November 6, 2011

Instead of rice

 This, is cauliflower rice.
A wonderful replacement for rice.
If you are trying to eat low carb,
lose a little weight,
or just wanting to eat healthier,
this is a great option!

And in case you are skeptical...
I have been the most skeptical.
I am one who would rather eat a big mac,
(and really think I feel better when I do),
than fill my plate with vegetables...

So when I say this is a good option,
you can be sure that if done right,
it is a good option!!

The secret to doing it right, however,
is in one of my all time favorite kitchen tools.
You can find this at your local Goodwill for only a few bucks.

The Salad Shooter!
Now before you start making fun,
know that the salad shooter is not just for making salad.
(This is a where my blogpost contradicts itself-
my main point is about eating healthy,
and here I am pushing the unhealthy...sorry.)
The salad  shooter has been known to make 
THE BEST almond roca,
grates frozen butter to make "cutting in the butter" 
a much easier task...(hello scones and biscuits!)

It shreds cheese like nothing else,
slices olives,
chops nuts,
grates chocolate...
should I keep going??

So anyway, back to the cauliflower rice:
Get yourself a Salad Shooter from the second hand store,
wash and cut cauliflower into chunks that will fit in the chute,
then grate away!
(It comes with a grater and slicer attachment,
for this rice, use the grater)
A key to making this not be mush, 
but have the texture be more like rice, 
is to push the cauliflower through the chute.  
Don't just push, but PUSH it through.
That makes the pieces longer like rice.

Next, put the grated/shredded cauliflower 
in a steamer 
(I use a Pampered Chef micro steamer)
with a little water.
Cook for 3, 4 or 5 minutes.
Drain, and enjoy with your favorite Thai curry,
stir fry, or other dish that you would 
normally serve with rice!

No comments: