Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Do you like green eggs and ham?

First of all, I know you are shocked to see me posting again...I have fallen off of the face of the blogging world...we all do it, right? Well. I'm back.

The girls and I went to see "Seussical the Musical" at BAAY to see their friend who played the Cat in the Hat. Watching the musical got my creative juices flowing...and boy did they need some help lately!!!
So we decided to do a 'unit' on Dr. Seuss. We learned facts about Theodor S. Geisel, which is Dr. Seuss' given name. We learned that he wrote some of his books under the pen name of Theo. LeSieg (which is Geisel spelled backwards!!) We read through many of his books, which we already had most of them on our bookshelves (scary!!) He wrote at least 42 books.

While we were learning about Dr. Seuss, we also learned that his birthday was on March 2nd, so we decided to do a Dr. Suess day in honor of his birthday. We made this cake. Ellie made the actual chocolate cake, Danica designed it, colors and everything, and then she helped color the frosting. The fluff thing on the top is supposed to be the clover where the Speck is, which is Whoville!
Then for lunch we made green eggs and ham (and read the book out loud...again...) and Whoville waffles (leggo my Eggo!!) Again, the pink sucker is supposed to be where Whoville is!!

We have been trying to read through all of Dr. Seuss' books. One of the activities we've been doing is the girls chose a Dr. Seuss book and read it to one of the boys (a positive to having kids in pairs!!) They practice reading with expression and fluently while the boys practice sitting quietly and respectfully. Everyone learns a little patience too!! Another fun activity was we read 'Fox in Socks' and tomorrow we are going to make an attempt at writing our own tongue twisters!

So if any of you home school moms are feeling a little overwhelmed or bored or stuck...take a break from the books (my kids still had to do their math books...) and a Dr. Seuss unit is an easy place to bring back the fun of learning!!

Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try...

3 comments:

Julie & kids said...

I love the cake, so creative! S had green eggs and ham at school on Monday. I was wondering why I saw so many Dr. Seuss things this week.

Kristine said...

Wow, Tara. You amaze me! I've always admired unit study moms. If there is such a thing. Love the cake and the picture of the kids with their waffles. :) Heaps of cuteness.

Leslie Parks said...

OH my goodness! You are amazing. the cake is gorgeous. I think I've baked a cake once in my life. These girls did a tremendous job. This sounds like a super fun unit.