Saturday, March 6, 2010

A weakness, or a strength?

My silverware drawer...
...when my oldest daughter unloads the dishwasher.

Isn't it funny how you can have two kids, only fourteen months apart, from the same parents, raised in the same home and while they are similar in many ways, they are SO different!

The beauty of raising two girls only fourteen months apart is learning to see that one person's weakness is another one's strength! And usually out of weakness comes a strength. Isn't that so cool? Danica's slow and careful work produces almost perfect handwriting, very high scores on school work, and silverware drawers like the picture I posted!! Ellie's fast and sometimes careless work produces lots done in a small amount of time, a HUGE help to her mom, and a hard working girl (and recently, wonderfully weeded flower beds!!)

I have always found it entertaining (and maybe even confusing) that our school day is often spent with me telling Danica to stop worrying about perfect work and hurry up, and telling Ellie to slow down and be more careful!!

When I need a job done quickly, I call Ellie. When I need a job done super carefully, I call Danica. No matter what our strength or weakness, God can and will use us! We are useful even in our weakness (or should I say, especially in our weakness?) That is such an amazing thing to think on. Rather than wishing we are better at something like 'so and so', we can rest in the fact that God created us JUST the way He intended, with weaknesses and strengths to be used just as He desires to use us.

So what did my daughters teach me by unloading the dishwasher today? That I may never be the perfect housekeeper, the most eloquent speaker, or a disciplined person, but God made me just the way He wanted me for just His very purposes! And I can rest in that...

1 comment:

Mary said...

Tara-
So fun to have you blogging again. How do you not have any crumbs in your silverware tray? Mine never looks that clean. And where do those crumbs come from anyway? I've always wondered. :) Miss you, friend.