Thursday, June 10, 2010

And my heart says amen to thy will

Have you ever had a day, (or month or year) where the events of that day are completely out of the ordinary? Like the most unexpected of the unexpected happens? You live each day just like the last, one step in front of the other, until one day, that next step is gone. Or it looks totally different than it looked every day before that. And then the next day, it happens again, until soon you wonder what happened to that simple, comfortable road you were used to walking on...
The last two years have been one unexpected, unbelievable thing after another. It has been a season of learning to trust in ways I never thought I'd have to trust. A season of knowing God in ways I have never known. The road we have been on has been by far the rockiest/windiest road we have ever traveled, (side note: our marriage is great and our kids are doing wonderful in spite of the crazy happenings, just so you don't worry!! The "happenings" are not good blog topics for the whole world to see. Again, come over for coffee and I'd love to share the amazing stories God has given us!!) It is here on this road, or in this valley, that God has revealed a depth of His love that we wouldn't trade for anything. (Though I wouldn't have chosen this craziness to be the teacher...God knows what is our best teacher and He, in His sovereignty, had planned for us exactly what He knew was best.)
I came across this hymn in a book my kids love for me to read aloud. I had never seen this hymn before, and I still don't know the tune. But God has used this hymn to remind us of His steadfast love and that His plan is perfect. He has given us faith to say amen to His will even when the steps ahead of us were so not what we expected...
...Unfortunately our road doesn't appear to be even close to ending, but we rejoice that God is using it to grow us, teach us, and reveal Himself to us... With that we are grateful that we can say amen to HIS will, knowing that He is faithful and that He works things together for good for those who love Him!
May these words bless and encourage you as they have me...
My Heart Says Amen to Thy Will
I have yielded myself to Thy service,
And Thy presence my bosom doth fill;
O my Savior, I haste to obey Thee,
And my heart says amen to Thy will.

Yes, my heart says amen to Thy will, Lord,
And I know that Thou lovest me still;
While I bow low in humble submission,
And my heart says amen to Thy will.

All the heart-ties of earth may be sundered,
So that I may Thy purpose fulfill;
Help me gladly submit and not murmur,
Ever saying amen to Thy will.

Though my plans and my hopes may seem blighted,
I will love Thee and trust in Thee still;
For I know all is well that Thou doest,
And my heart says amen to Thy will.

When I pass to that heavenly country,
And my soul with its glory doth thrill;
This forever shall be my rejoicing,
That my heart says amen to Thy will.

1 comment:

Through the Sea Glass said...

AHH I soo needed to read this today. I have been struggling - and not saying amen to his will. I have been bitter and angered, frustrated, and confused and definitely not been ok with the different "plan". Thank you for this. THank you for the reminder and encouragement to turn to him and say ok lord with Joy.