Sunday, June 14, 2009

My husband cooks!

My husband, I repeat, MY husband has a new love for cooking.
I know, it's really weird. I'm still getting used to it.
When we were dating, Mark wanted to make sure we were on the same page before we tied the knot, so we went on an evening walk and talked about the hard things. He told me that when we get married, he's not into the 50/50 stuff...the cooking would be my job, so I shouldn't expect that he would spend much time in the kitchen.
(If you don't know us well, I must clarify that Mark is not a chauvinist or bossy or anything like that. He is a very kind, wonderful husband who loves me very much...he just very wisely made sure we were on the same page about such things when we got married.)
So on with the story...After he told me he didn't cook, I burst into tears and said, "I don't cook either...I don't think God meant for me to be a wife!?!?" But as the next 12 years came and went, I was actually VERY glad of our conversation, in fact, I would often order him out of MY kitchen, reminding him of that nice evening walk and talk we had many years ago!
But now, as you can see, Mark has taken on a new passion...COOKING!
He finds his own recipes and creates wonderful masterpieces. He has made homemade coconut milk ice cream, Thai caramel dessert (which was like flan), but this picture shows the best yet...Flank Steak with Chimichurri...it had a balsamic vinagrette with cilantro, we put the steak on tortillas with pinto beans (home canned by our amazing neighbor, Jill), a squeeze of lime, fresh guacamole (homemade by MARK!!) and sour cream. WOW. It was so good we had him make it twice in one week!!
In just over a week we celebrate 13 years of marriage...what an awesome journey God has brought us on...the ups. The downs. The mundane. The special times. The things I never thought I'd see...like my husband cooking! I am so thankful for a wonderful husband who still puts up with me after all these years!!
So if any of you think something seems impossible, take note. My husband, whom I NEVER thought would cook, is cooking and loving it!!
(Does that mean I have to share my kitchen now?)

5 comments:

Mary said...

Hi Tara-
I see the pictures but I must say I just don't believe it. Those photos could be posed. :) He may have to prove his new talent when we're there this summer.

Does this mean Mark is sharing his tractor now?

Miss you,
mary

Kristine said...

I've been waiting for this post! How amazing!! If Mark can learn to love cooking, then maybe cows can learn to fly!

You know that we adore both of you!

Leslie Parks said...

Yum Tara, We can we come over?

Dani said...

(Dax)

Congrats on 13 years! PTL! Dani and I are celebrating 14 in this next week... we must be close on our day!

Homemade guac sounds fantastic... way to go, Mark.

Praying (and knowing) that the Lord is using you greatly,
Dax

Historian Anne said...

Wow, that is a complicated dinner! Glad you could take a break from cooking for awhile!