Saturday, April 3, 2010

Living the dream...


Sometimes being a stay at home, homeschooling mom of four can be rather challenging. My days are filled with school, meal prep, meal clean up, house cleaning and pick up all day long (it crosses my mind that if we weren't all home all day long the house wouldn't get messy and we wouldn't have to always be picking up...), mediating between arguing siblings, motivating unmotivated children, and running around doing the miscellaneous things we do in a day. This part is challenging, but sometimes the even more challenging part is the sacrifice of "giving up" my own dreams and aspirations, at least for now...

One dream I have had is to open a coffee shop... I already have a name picked out, and I can picture in my head what it would look like. I would make it so when people come to my coffee shop, it would be like coming to my home. Your name, of course, would be written on your cup with a fun colored Sharpie pen. You'd choose your favorite home made scone, or (if StePHanie Fallahee would be okay with it,) one of StePHanie's famous chocolate chip cookies! It would be a place where people can come and sit for hours and catch up with old friends, read their favorite book...it would be so fun to watch people come in and connect with others or just have some time to themselves. I'd want it to be a place where people could come and relax and be themselves. What a joy it would be to visit with so many different people every day, encourage others and be encouraged by others as our paths cross in my quaint little coffee shop!

Some day I just might do it.

But for now, I take joy in raising my kids, schooling my kids, coming along side my kids...pouring myself in to these four precious people God has blessed me with.

And as for my dream...I am actually living it out...in my own way, in my own home. With my own Sharpies and paper cups, with my own home espresso machine. For now, I'll continue coffee hour here at my house, with my kids and husband, a neighbor or with whomever happens to be this way.. I've had many times where I get to watch people come to my "coffee shop" and catch up with old friends, encourage each other, sit and talk for hours...

...what a joy to have my dream come to me, here in my own home...

5 comments:

Through the Sea Glass said...

I'll would love to be manager or an employee at this shop of yours!!! Ahh, your dream is similar to mine..I can't wait until I have an espresso machine at home, for now i just get to play with the one at work! Plus I believe you are earning jewels in your crown in Heaven for being an at-home mom, homeschooler. I respect every woman who chooses to do so. You are amazing!

Leslie Parks said...

Tara,
I so understand how you feel. Sometimes all of life gets in the way and we really don't see how wonderful it is to stay home and then we see/read/hear something and we just cuddle our kids close and feel blessed even when the floor is littered with dirty socks and legos. I love coming to your house and having coffee. And you know what to write on my cup.

Corina said...

I love your idea for a shop... I can see you making a very nice one!

Kristine said...

And, secretly, every person who keeps coming back to your coffee shop is actually there to chat with you and be encouraged and walk away a little bit charged up to deal with the next thing life hands them. Adore you.

tara said...

Thanks you guys!! You are making me want to have a "coffee hour" and invite you all!!!